Friday 20 January 2012

EVALUATION QUESTION 1 - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Andrew Goodwin has said that music videos have been using the artist as both narrator and character in their music videos. When making our music video we decided to follow this convention and use our artist as both narrator and character, as our music video is about a night out with the artist. We also followed Goodwin's convention of the artist looking into the camera. This is done so that the audience feels a connection with the artist and also the song.

Carol Vernallis has also analysed music videos. She came to the conclusion that music videos use edits such as wipes, slow motion and jump cuts so that they get draw attention to themselves. Me and my group decided to follow these conventions as we used mainly jump cuts throughout our music video with slow motion only being used once. We also used effects such as fades and overlays.

We used a couple of basetracks that appeared throughout the video which were when we the camera was circulating the artist as a close-up at barbican, when the camera was circulating the artist as a medium-shot  at barbican, the camera following the artist as he was walking the streets of london at night and also I would count the shots from the party as a basetrack as we keep cutting back to them.

 

Also after watching the music video Wretch 32 - Unorthodox we decided to use some text at the begining of our music video as you don't usually see text in music videos.


Wretch 32 - Unorthodox

 

Our music video



In many videos women are shown more as objects instead of people. As our genre is electro-pop which is mostly listened to at parties we decided to go against convention!!
Here are a few shots from videos that can be related to our video showing females in parts and also as objects.





Here is a link to Benny Benassi's music video of Satisfaction, This is another example where females are shown more as objects rather then people.

 
We focused on the main artist in our video as well as his 2 male friends..here is a few shots from our music video which shows the 3 males(including artist) and also shots to show how the females we're represented in our video..





Lately we have started seeing adverts in music videos, this is also known as product placement. Here are a few that are very noticable...

Beats headphones being advertised


Renault car being advertised


Virgin mobile being advertised


After seeing these product placements we decided that we should have one too, we had the drink ciroc appear a few times taking up more screen time then other drinks, it also appears again when the artist is holding them while partying


Here is a song that had a couple of shots that were similar to ours when advertising the same product.  



Moving on to the front panel of my finished digipak

 


Here are other front panels from artists that are in the same/similar genre as our artist







As you can see all of these front panels are different from each other but still consist the same things. Text with bright/primary colours are generally used. Some front panels have an image of the arist(generally a close-up) such as Frank Musik - Complete Me while others have special effects on their front panel such as Electro House Session while other front panels have random images on them such as Chase and Status - No More Idols and Basement Jaxx - Rooty.

I decided to include a close-up of my artist while also using a special effect as I didn't want a plain black background. I also decided to follow the conventions by using the colour yellow for my artists while having a green shadow which are bright/primary colours.

Moving on to advertisment of the album

Before creating my own advert for my album I researched other artists adverts who are in the same/similar genre as me. As you can see in the images below the adverts consist of the albums front panel. They use the front panel as the background of the advert with information about the album either at the bottom of the advert or the left side.

Calvin Harris - I Created Disco Album                    Calvin Hariis - I Created Disco Advert



Basement Jaxx - Rooty Album                                       Basement Jaxx - Rooty Advert



Chase and Status - No More Idots Album           
                                                                        Chase and Status - No More Idots Tour Advert



FrankMusik - Complete Me album                          Frank Music - Complete Me advert





I decided to go against this convention!!

I did not want to follow this convention as I believed my advert would look too plain. 

 My Album                                                                       My Advert

Nathan Miller - Ready For The Weekend    
                                                                  Nathan Miller - Ready For The Weekend Advert


As you can see I did not follow what similar artists have done with their albums as I believed my album would have looked too plain and boring, which would have meant that people wouldn't pay attention to the advert. I decided to show my album cover more as a image on the advert. I also included a close-up of the artist, you can see that other adverts don't normally have two images of the artist but as our artist is new and this is his debut album I believed his face would be important so that people start to recognise him!
I decided to make the aritst name the biggest thing on the advert. I decided to do this as he is a new artist and people would need to remember his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment