Friday 30 September 2011

Short analysis of a students music video

Research for music videos

I went on vimeo.com  and watched some past students music videos's that they had created. most of them were really good and interesting to watch- and I have even gained a few ideas and inspiration from some. Below is the music video that I really enjoyed watching and I have done a small analysis of what I liked and what I didn't like. 



Zeynab Berouijel, Charlotte Moore, Kim Nguyen, Yasmmen Ismail from 283goswell on Vimeo.

What I liked about this video

I really liked the editing they used at the beginning of the video. They split the frame into four parts and edited it perfectly on the beat of the song. I think its a good way to really grab the audience's attention. 





The performance was very good too. Some videos I watched, the performance was a a bit dull and some people looked shy. However, the performance of the girl in this video was good, she performed with confidence and made the video believable.

They used a lot of close ups to show the singers face, and she also looked inside the camera. I think this was really good as close ups and eye contact help the audience to connect with the artist and also makes them feel involved in the video.

















They used a transition which i thought was really good. As she sang "It has no appeal", they added in a transition that peeled off the shot a=to take us to the next shot. I think this was clever as it actually contradicted to what she was singing.





They added words in the video like 'live' and 'fly, which was some of the words she was singing and I thought that was nice technique to use. 






What I didn't like about this video


I think the park they used as a location didn't work so well. I have taken a screen shot of the shot i'm talking about below.



This is because the camera shot stayed the same, was quite long and was a bit boring. To make the shot look better, they should have done some close ups or medium shots for example. 

When they used the green screen for one of their shots, it wasn't doen properly as some bits of her hair disappeared and you could see the green fuzz inside the gaps of her hair. Below is a screenshot, however its not so clear what I'm trying to explain. 



No comments:

Post a Comment