Tuesday 22 November 2011

(Production) - AS/A2 Editing Skills

One skill from my AS year that definitely helped me during the editing stages of this process; was using the Final Cut Pro software. Taking that into consideration, I feel that this year my editing skills have advanced quite a bit. Howerer the difference between editing a music video and editing a thriller opening is a considereable one. A main difference is that when I was editing my thriller, I didn't have to utelize that many track on my timeling; whereas now that I am editing a music video there are quite a substantial ammount of tracks on my timeline (Base tracks).

Here is just a screenshot of all of our basetracks, as you can see there are quite a few of them. Along the botton is just a section of our audio track.
Making sure that our footage and the music were properly syncronised was crutial. This year we had one less thing to worry about; in comparison to the editing process last year where we had to actually create the sound. This skill/ technique was taught to us pretty early on in this academic year; which meant that we already had a rough idea of what the editing would consist of before we had even thought about the filming stage.

This is the colour correction pane, which is used to adjust the balance, hue, whites, midtones, blacks, and saturation. We have, so far, only needed to adjust the whites and midtones in order to brighten up some of our shots.
When creating my thriller opening in AS, I found that the use of effects and titles were quite significant. However, In terms of our music video i dont think the use of titles is as important. But one time when we did use a title f some sort in our video was at the beginging where we have an inspiratioinal quote from our artist nathan. One thing we have been using which we didn't last year is colour correction. Looking back, some of my group's shots for the thriller opening would have probably benefited from some brightening up. Overall i feel that I have been editing more comfortably, and also that I have succesfully aplied quite a few of the skills i learnt in AS, to my music video this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment