Sunday 27 November 2011

How I have improved from the AS year

How I have improved from the AS year
Over the AS year, I knew how to use all of the media techniques used in our music video from the previous year studying thrillers.However, we had one dominant editor that done most of the tweaking to the final piece. With me giving suggestions, I didn't get a shot of editing itself. My role was more giving feedback and underling the points that didn't make sense. In my A2 year this was flipped. As editing was my job in the group as well as performing for the camera. Most skills were forgotten over the six weeks holiday and upon regaining them I was able to use the skills that I picked up from the AS year and reflect it in my A2 piece. On my AS thriller (Violet) there was a lot of tampering with the brightness and contrast giving the "Tyga" look to the video (see blog 'Tyga Tyga') which basically makes the video a lot more sharp and wholesome, despite knowing of its existence there was not much of it used in our final edit as superimposition dominated the Flashback music video. This was used very often to create the drunk feel we had been going on about since we knew what song we was choosing. This appeared mildly in Violet and was pretty much a one off. In the case of Nathan Miller - Flashback it is used on most clips as the song begins to pick up. This also connotes a "flashback" feel to the song. Jump cuts, a technique used in many AS thrillers , played a significant factor in the music video as I was allowed to experiment and really make me, Asilhan and Temi look "cool" as we moved to the beat using a simple technique, cutting and deleting in between cuts to make us move rigid and to the beat of the song. Paired with the slow motion proved to work very well as party scenes do often have slow motion to allow the audience to see clearly the highlights of the party, in our case the shot of our friend Diego getting water thrown in his face was quite humorous amongst peers so by slowing it down gives some memorable value to everyone. By clicking the reverse button on the modify, change speed effects, it allowed to quite simply bring the selected clip to be played backwards accentuating the drunk feel to the song as you can see what is going on. But with the superimposition it really disorientates the viewer and accentuates the drunk feel. This was new but it wasn't rocket science, simple to use but highly effective none the less. Fade in fade out made its first appearance in my books, making transitions a lot more smoother because before this I was razoring the clips and manually changing the opacity which made transitions look very stiff.

Overall, Camera and acting skills have changed little but editing skills have increased by a lot. As I learnt new skills and refreshed my previous skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment